Updated March 31, 2020
To CJR Parents, Students, Friends, Volunteers and Associates:
The health and safety of the children, youth and families served by the Connecticut Junior Republic are our highest priority. We are taking the following steps to protect all of our young people and families from COVID-19:
- Effective March 16, 2020, the CJR Schools are closed for day students, with a tentative plan to re-open after April 30, 2020. Residential students have been participating in Cooperative Work-Study experiences since March 18, and will continue to do so. Effective April 1st, distance learning will be offered to day and residential students through Schoology, an online learning community. INFORMATION FOR THE CABLE ACADEMIC AND VOCATIONAL EDUCATION CENTER (CAVEC) SHOULD BE FAXED TO: 860-567-2670.
- Effective March 19, and continuing through April 30, many CJR Programs and Departments will go to a work-at-home model utilizing telemedicine, video and phone telecommunication systems to perform specific program operations and to provide services. ALL INFORMATION SENT BY FAX FOR ANY CJR PROGRAM SITE SHOULD BE FAXED TO THIS NUMBER: 860-567-3479.
- The CJR Wellness Center is accepting referrals and the Staff will be available by telephone or by scheduled video conferencing on an as-needed basis. Please contact Jennifer Grant for referrals: 860-601-1810 or by email: email@example.com.
- Requiring all staff members, parents and guardians to confirm that neither they nor their child has been exposed to anyone with COVID-19, and has not traveled outside the continental United States in the last 14 days.
- Requiring all staff traveling outside the State of Connecticut to be asymptomatic for at 24 hours before returning to work.
- If a student or staff member has been exposed to someone with COVID-19 and/or has traveled outside of the continental United States in recent weeks, that person will be required to self-quarantine for a 14-day period.
- Requiring all staff members who travel outside the State of Connecticut via airplane or mass transit system to self-quarantine for a period of 14 days upon return.
- Educating our students, staff and families to ensure that they are aware of the importance of hand washing and not touching their face to avoid exposure.
- Any students or staff members exhibiting flu-like symptoms, including fever, coughing, sneezing or shortness of breath have been asked to remain at home. If they come to our campus or community program sites, they will be sent home.
- Parents/guardians will be apprised of any developments or issues that impact their child.
- Buildings associated with our program sites are being cleaned and disinfected on a regular basis.
- CJR has enacted a travel ban on out-of-state business travel and meetings for all staff.
- The CJR pool has been closed to avoid potential transmission of COVID-19.
- Board members and volunteers who have traveled outside of the continental United States in the last 14 days, and those who are exhibiting any of the following symptoms may not enter any CJR Program site: Fever, Coughing, Sneezing or Shortness of Breath.
CJR continues to work closely with the Department of Health, the Department of Children and Families, the Department of Social Services, Judicial Branch Court Support Services and local education authorities and school districts to ensure the safety of our boys, girls and families.
We will provide additional updates on measures that CJR is taking to ensure the health and safety of CJR students, young people and families as appropriate. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact me or the appropriate staff members listed below:
- Cable Academic and Vocational Education Centers in Bristol and Litchfield: James K. Obst, Director of Education and Student Services: firstname.lastname@example.org; 860-567-9423, ext. 211
- Residential Services, including CJR's Litchfield Residential Programs, REGIONS Residential Program in Waterbury and Winchester Group Home: Christine Jaffer, Director of Residential Services: email@example.com; 860-567-9423, ext. 255
- Behavioral and Mental Health Services: Jennifer Grant, Director of Behavioral Health Services: firstname.lastname@example.org; 860-567-9423, ext. 303
- Community-Based Programs in Danbury, East Hartford, Meriden, New Britain, New London and Waterbury: Ana Flamengo, Director of Community Programs: email@example.com; 860-567-9423, ext. 271
Please check our website for future updates regarding COVID-19. In light of the growing public health concern, we are monitoring the evolving situation on a continuing basis to keep our young people and families as safe as possible.
Daniel W. Rezende
President & CEO
860-567-9423, ext. 250