Updated July 15, 2020
To CJR Parents, Students, Friends, Volunteers and Associates:
The health and safety of the children, youth and families served by the Connecticut Junior Republic are our highest priority. We are taking the following steps to protect all of our young people and families from COVID-19:
- The CJR Schools in Litchfield and Bristol opened for Extended School Year programming (summer school) on July 6th, and are following the State Department of Education guidelines for safe operations. Residential students are also participating in Cooperative Work-Study experiences and will continue to do so. INFORMATION FOR THE CABLE ACADEMIC AND VOCATIONAL EDUCATION CENTER (CAVEC) SHOULD BE FAXED TO: 860-567-2670.
- Many CJR programs and departments continue to operate on a work-at-home model, utilizing telemedicine, video and phone telecommunication systems to provide services and perform specific program operations. ALL INFORMATION SENT BY FAX FOR ANY CJR PROGRAM SITE (EXCLUDING EDUCATION SERVICES) SHOULD BE FAXED TO THIS NUMBER: 860-567-3479.
- The CJR Wellness Center is accepting referrals and the staff will be available by telephone or by scheduled video conferencing on an as-needed basis. Please contact Jennifer Grant for referrals: Telephone: 860-601-1810 or by email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- All staff members, parents and guardians who come to any CJR Program site for planned appointments are required to confirm that neither they nor their child has been exposed to anyone with COVID-19, or traveled outside the continental United States in the last 14 days.
- If a student or staff member has been exposed to someone with COVID-19 and/or has traveled outside of the continental United States in recent weeks, that person will be required to self-quarantine for a 14-day period.
- CJR students, staff and families have been educated to ensure that they are aware of the importance of hand washing and not touching their face to avoid exposure.
- Any staff members who travel outside the State of Connecticut via airplane or mass transit system must self-quarantine for a period of 14 days upon return.
- Any students or staff members exhibiting flu-like symptoms, including fever, coughing, sneezing or shortness of breath are asked to remain at home. If they come to CJR program sites, they will be sent home.
- Parents/guardians will be apprised of any developments or issues that impact their child.
- Buildings associated with CJR program sites are being cleaned and disinfected on a regular basis.
- The CJR pool has been closed to avoid potential transmission of COVID-19.
- Board members and volunteers who have traveled outside of the continental United States in the last 14 days, and those who are exhibiting any of the following symptoms may not enter any CJR Program site: Fever, Coughing, Sneezing or Shortness of Breath.
CJR continues to work closely with the Department of Health, the Department of Children and Families, the Department of Social Services, Judicial Branch Court Support Services, the State Department of Education, and local education authorities and school districts to ensure the safety of the boys, girls and families associated with our programs.
CJR will provide additional updates on measures being taken to ensure the health and safety of our students, young people and families. In these difficult times, grants, contributions and philanthropic support are more important than ever before and deeply appreciated. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact me or the appropriate staff members listed below:
- Cable Academic and Vocational Education Centers in Bristol and Litchfield: James K. Obst, Director of Education and Student Services: email@example.com; 860-567-9423, ext. 211
- Residential Services, including CJR's Litchfield Residential Programs, REGIONS Residential Program in Waterbury and Winchester Group Home: Christine Jaffer, Director of Residential Services: firstname.lastname@example.org; 860-567-9423, ext. 255
- Behavioral and Mental Health Services: Jennifer Grant, Director of Behavioral Health Services: email@example.com; 860-567-9423, ext. 303
- Community-Based Programs in Danbury, East Hartford, Meriden, New Britain, New London and Waterbury: Ana Flamengo, Director of Community Programs: firstname.lastname@example.org; 860-567-9423, ext. 271
- Fundraising and Public Relations: Hedy Barton, Director of Development and Public Relations: email@example.com; 860-567-9423, ext. 252
Please check our website for future updates regarding COVID-19. In light of the continuing public health concern, we are monitoring the evolving situation on a daily basis to keep our young people and families as safe as possible.
Daniel W. Rezende
President & CEO
860-567-9423, ext. 250